Some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you!). Read the full disclosure policy here.
A European honeymoon can be pretty idyllic. With romantic cities in Europe, gorgeous beaches, and many charming destinations in between, it can be hard to narrow down the perfect places to honeymoon. So we came up with the 25 best honeymoon destinations in Europe that you’ll want to book as soon as you can!
I’ve spent a lot of time exploring Europe via backpacking several times, living in France for a period of time, and visiting with my husband, Chris, more recently. If you plan to choose a European honeymoon destination, we’ve got you covered.
Table of Contents
Best Honeymoon Destinations in Europe
To narrow down your options for the best honeymoon places in Europe, we’re breaking it down by categories like budget, beaches, cities, and more! Let’s plan the best honeymoon in Europe!
Romantic Cities in Europe
When it comes to brainstorming European honeymoon ideas, many cities probably come to mind. After all, Europe is known as a place to go city-hopping!
Of course, some are more popular than others, but we’ve got a surprise or two in store. So let’s dive into the most charming and romantic cities to include on your list of honeymoon locations in Europe.
1. Paris, France
I know that Paris being on this list is a total cliche, but there is a reason that this city is among the top honeymoon destinations in Europe. From the city lights twinkling at night to the sprawling gardens, art museums, and dreamy sidewalk cafes, Paris oozes romance at every turn.
If your honeymoon to Europe is your first time in this part of the world, then a stop in Paris is a must. For a luxurious honeymoon-worthy splurge, stay at the Grand Hotel Du Palais Royal for a treat that is within walking distance of many lovely attractions.
What to do on your Paris honeymoon:
- Hold hands while walking along the Seine River
- Watch the sunset and see the Eiffel Tower sparkle at night
- Get a drink at Perruche Bar above the Printemps shopping center for the best views of the city
- Explore less popular but equally stunning art museums like the Rodin Museum and Museum L’Orangerie
- Make reservations for a wine bar
- Go on a food tour of the Le Marais neighborhood
- Take a day trip to the Loire Valley for castles, wine, and delicious food
2. Porto, Portugal
Dramatic scenery, a beautiful river, and charming cobblestone streets will leave you breathless in Porto. If you are looking for one of the most romantic places in Europe for a honeymoon, this hits the spot.
In particular, you’ll want to take a day trip to the Douro Valley to see the vineyards as they cascade over the hillsides of the river valley. For a delightful apartment, be sure to check out Casas do Porto-Ribeira Apartments.
What to do on your Porto honeymoon:
- Take in sunset views over the river
- Head to the beach for some much-needed sunshine
- Take a day trip to the Douro Valley to enjoy some port wine
- Enjoy the architecture and tilework of this medieval city
3. Venice, Italy
Touristy? Yes. Romantic? Definitely! There is a reason that some places are more popular than others when it comes to European honeymoon destination ideas. So if you have Venice on your list, you’ll definitely have a romantic honeymoon, and you can easily avoid other crowds simply by wandering off the main tourist drag.
What is the most romantic thing to do in Venice? Take a gondola ride through the canals! And for a charming hotel with even better views, opt for Hotel Moresco for the perfect honeymoon getaway.
What to do on your Venice honeymoon:
- Gondola ride
- Visit St. Mark’s Square and Basilica
- Stroll along the canals and visit the Grand Canal
- Listen to opera at Teatro La Fenice
- Admire Doge’s Palace
- Take a day trip out to the colorful islands of Murano and Burano
4. Amsterdam, The Netherlands
What is it about canals that automatically make a place more beautiful? Amsterdam is not only a place to party, but it gushes romance with beautiful architecture, gorgeous canals that sparkle at night, and, if you time it right, you’re close to some of the most beautiful tulip fields in the world!
If you plan to hit up some honeymoon spots in Europe, be sure to add Amsterdam to the short list. When you aren’t taking in the sights of this city, be sure to settle in at Ambassade Hotel located right on the canals!
What to do on your Amsterdam honeymoon:
- Take a canal cruise
- In the spring, be sure to check out Keukenhof for the tulips
- Eat all the fries with sauce
- Go on a bike tour to the countryside
- Take in the art scene at the Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum
- Learn about WW2 history and visit the Anne Frank House
5. Bruges, Belgium
We were fortunate to spend a day in Bruges in November last year just in time for their magical Christmas markets. We both agreed that we wish we had more time there! It is the perfect honeymoon in Europe as this medieval city is full of chocolate and waffle shops, fantastic breweries, and iconic bridges.
Make sure to stop at Lover’s Bridge. Legend has it that if you walk across and kiss your paramour, you’ll be together forever.
And for a truly unique hotel experience, stay at Hotel Dukes’ Palace Bruges. It was the former residence of the Burgundian aristocracy!
What to do on your Bruges honeymoon:
- Visit Grote Markt
- Eat all the waffles and chocolate
- Visit a pub or brewery for some authentic Belgian beer
- Go on a canal cruise
- Cross Lover’s Bridge
6. Annecy, France
This small French town may be one of my favorite places (I even include it as a must-stop during a 7 day France itinerary)! When I lived in Grenoble, France, this was one of the best day trips to take for a good reason: this mountain town will make your jaw drop with its beauty.
This gorgeous small alpine village between Lyon and Geneva is idyllic for its lovely canals leading to the most beautiful lake with mountains on the other side.
A visit to the “Venice of France” is a must for romance seekers and mountain lovers. If you visit in the summer, though, be sure to enjoy some hiking and go for a swim in the lake!
And as a honeymoon splurge with a view, opt for Hotel du Palais de L’Isle.
What to do on your Annecy honeymoon:
- Enjoy tasty alpine cuisine like raclette
- Admire the canals in the city
- Stroll along the lake or go for a swim
- Visit the farmer’s market for tasty treats and souvenirs on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays
7. Vienna, Austria
Vienna may not show up on many romantic honeymoon destinations in Europe lists, but if you plan to go on your honeymoon around the holiday season, Vienna needs to be on your radar.
Of course, it is a lovely spot to visit year-round, but the holidays are when Vienna truly shines brightly. Decorated all around with light fixtures, you’ll enjoy some of the best Christmas markets in Europe at markets like Vienna Christmas World on Rathausplatz, Am Hof Christmas Market, and the Christmas Village at Maria-Theresien-Platz.
Whether you plan to spend a week or 2 days in Vienna, we highly recommend a stay at the Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof as it is centrally located around many Christmas markets and the nearby Hofburg Palace.
What to do on your Vienna honeymoon:
- All the Christmas markets! Seriously, they’re everywhere and truly magical
- Visit the Spanish Riding School for their performance of the Lipizzaner stallions
- Embrace cafe culture at opulent cafes such as Cafe Demel or Cafe Central (go early!)
- Explore the massive Schonbrunn Palace
- Wander inside the Innere Stadt and enjoy the lights
Cheap Honeymoon Destinations in Europe
The words “cheap” and “romantic honeymoon destinations in Europe” don’t typically go together, but yes, it is possible to stay in budget and have a fabulous time in Europe on your honeymoon!
8. Prague, Czech Republic
After visiting Prague in winter and summer, it is hard to choose the best time to go. Honestly, the city is perfect year-round with beautiful medieval cathedrals, town squares, and streets that will leave you enchanted.
We spent a couple of days in Prague this past November and between the Czech beer, the incredible Old Town Square, and the delightful food tour, we can say it was a favorite spot to visit!
For a romantic stay with a rooftop balcony view of the Lesser Town Tower, we loved Hotel Pod Vezi!
What to do on your Prague honeymoon:
- Take a food tour! Seriously, we loved this one for all the hidden foodie gems
- Rent a bathtub for two at a beer spa
- Explore Charles Bridge, Old Town Square, and Lennon Wall in the morning
- Take a tour of the Jewish Quarter
- Drink like a local at Lokal
9. Seville, Spain
Seville is a city like no other. Full of history, Moorish architecture, and flamenco dancing, you’ll likely never want to leave. Whether you prefer eating tapas and dancing the night away or taking a tandem bike through the Parque de Maria Luisa, there is no shortage of romance in this Andalusian town.
For affordable opulence, be sure to stay at Aguilas5 Sevilla Suites!
What to do on your Seville honeymoon:
- Stroll through (and get Instagram-worthy photos) at Plaza de Espana
- Visit the Royal Alcazar of Seville
- Hold hands while wandering along the Guadalquivir river and visit Torre del Oro
- Take a day trip to see the Alhambra palace
- Learn the art of flamenco dancing and feast on tapas like patatas bravas, Spanish omelettes, and more
10. Athens, Greece
Ancient history, art, markets, and beautiful views of the Acropolis await you in Athens. While the Greek islands get most of the attention, Athens is a place worth visiting on a Greek itinerary for its unique historical sites and affordability!
Feast on Greek food, hike up the Acropolis, and wander the Plaka neighborhood for a romantic time in Greece.
Hotel tip: definitely get a hotel with a rooftop view of the Acropolis! It is so pretty at night. If you’re on a budget then the Attalos Hotel, near the historic Plaka neighborhood, is perfect and wallet-friendly!
What to do on your Athens honeymoon:
- Take a walking tour of the main sites of Athens including the olympic stadium, Hadrian’s Gate, Plaka neighborhood, and the Ancient Agora
- Hike up to the Acropolis
- Eat souvlaki, tzatziki, and saganaki
- Stay at (or visit) Syntagma neighborhood
11. Budapest, Hungary
I love to visit Budapest time and again for its unique bathhouses, delightful food, and quirky ruin pubs and tea shops. This perfectly affordable city is ideal for any list of the best honeymoon destinations in Europe!
We totally recommend having a more local experience by staying at an Airbnb in the Jewish Quarter. New to Airbnb? Learn how to get $40 off your first visit! Here is the exact one we stayed at in an older building full of charm!
What to do on your Budapest honeymoon:
- Visit Rudas Baths and enjoy their rooftop hot tub overlooking the Danube
- Take morning photos and get great views of the Parliament Building from Fisherman’s Bastion
- Watch the sunset on an evening Danube cruise
- Enjoy Sirius Tea House for a quirky spot to drink tea
- Take a tour of the Etyek wine region
- Visit multiple ruin pubs
The Most Adventurous European Honeymoon Destination Ideas
If an adventurous honeymoon in Europe is your goal, then look no further than these amazing destinations for two across Europe!
12. Tromso, Norway
Watch the northern lights, stay in an ice hotel, or perhaps hike or cruise along the fjords. These are all incredibly adventurous, and romantic things to do in Tromso.
What to do on your Tromso honeymoon:
- Go dog or reindeer sledding
- Explore the Tromso harbor
- Visit the fjords
- Book a tour to get out and see the northern lights
13. Interlaken, Switzerland
With a combination of alpine lakes and majestic mountains, this adventure spot in Europe is perfect to visit any time of the year. Paragliding, skydiving, and canyon swinging are just some of the adventures you can have in and around this Swiss town.
Between adrenaline rushing adventures, enjoy a refreshing stay at Salzano Hotel for amazing mountain views in this Swiss chalet.
What to do on your Interlaken honeymoon:
- Go bungee jumping or skydiving
- Check out a ski resort for a combination of thrill-inducing slopes and fun apres-ski
- Take in the beautiful views of the alpine lakes
- Visit the top of Europe on the Jungfraujoch
14. Cappadocia, Turkey
This destination has been getting more and more popular over the years and it is no wonder why. Dreamy sunrises and sunsets over conical caves make one want to book a flight to Turkey ASAP.
For the best experience, stay at a cave hotel like Cappadocia Cave Suites for amazing views, and the opportunity to sleep in a cave! Pretty cool, right?
What to do on your Cappadocia honeymoon:
- Book a sunrise air balloon ride over the caves
- Visit the Fairy Chimneys and Pigeon Valley
- Ski or hike and see a volcano at Mount Erciyes
- Explore the Derinkuyu Underground City
- Catch both a sunrise and sunset over these caves
15. Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Hiking, crystal clear waters, castles, and legends surround you in a trip to the Isle of Skye in Scotland.
Be sure to hit up some popular spots like the Fairy Glen, Fairy Pools, Neist Point Lighthouse, Dunvegan Castle, and try some whisky at Talisker Distillery.
For the dreamiest place to stay for your time on the Isle of Skye, opt for Arthouse B&B. This charming bed and breakfast is located further off the beaten path, but you’ll wake up to some stunning views of the rolling hills on the Isle of Skye.
What to do on your Isle of Skye honeymoon:
- Taste some Scottish whisky at Talisker Distillery
- Enjoy incredible views on various hikes like Old Man of Storr and the Quiraing
- Stop at a white sand beach like Coral Beach for a picnic
- Believe in magic at the Fairy Pools
- Go sea kayaking and maybe spot a whale
16. Iceland Road Trip
Chase waterfalls, sit in hot springs, and spot the northern lights (depending on when you visit) on the perfect Iceland road trip.
There are two big routes to take in Iceland for a road trip: Golden Circle for shorter trips and to stay in the southern part of the country or Ring Road for the full Iceland loop. If you don’t have a long honeymoon in Europe, then a short visit to the Golden Circle will definitely satisfy your need for adventure. But if you’ve got the time, and are visiting Iceland in the summer, then the full Ring Road is a great option!
If you want to catch some northern lights from your bed be sure to book a stay at the Panorama Glass Lodge for great views and an outdoor hot tub.
What to do on your Iceland honeymoon:
- Visit Kirkjufell (the arrowhead mountain in Game of Thrones)
- Spot waterfalls
- Visit diamond beach for black sand and huge ice chunks
- Soak in some hot springs and get a spa treatment at the Blue Lagoon
- Go glacier hiking and ice climbing
- Snorkel at Silfra
Beach Honeymoons in Europe
Some of the best romantic destinations in Europe are lovely beaches. Whether you plan to visit the Mediterranean or Atlantic Ocean, these perfect beach honeymoon destinations in Europe are sure to please.
17. Mallorca, Spain
If you want beaches, what better place than an island known for its beaches? This island is full of fabulous spots, luxurious resorts, and plenty of charm, making it one of the best places to visit in Europe for a honeymoon.
Pro-tip: Visiting in May or September is a great way to save money and still have warmer weather! Summer is a busy time to visit this island.
For a great hotel on the beach, check out the Boutique Hotel Calatrava for stunning sea views and luxurious rooms.
Best beaches on Mallorca:
- Es Calo des Moro Beach for the picture-perfect privately owned beach
- Cala Mesquida Beach for a long beach to stretch out and play in the water
- Cala Pi Beach for cliffs and a beach bar
- Cala Formentor Beach for crystal clear water
18. Algarve, Portugal
Beautiful coastlines, dramatic rock formations, and clear ocean water define the Algarve coastal region in Portugal. If a Portugal honeymoon is on your radar, spend a couple of days in Lisbon before exploring the Algarve and then going on to Porto.
There are many towns to stay in to enjoy the seaside bliss of the Algarve. I recommend the Carvi Beach Hotel near Lagos to stay within steps of one of the Algarve’s best beaches: Praia Dona Ana.
Best beaches in the Algarve:
- Praia Dona Ana for steep cliffs and picturesque views
- Praia Do Camilo for a smaller, quieter version of Praia Dona Ana
- Praia da Marinha for iconic rock formations
- Praia da Arrifana for surfing
19. Sicily, Italy
Italy isn’t short on places for the perfect beach vacation. The island of Capri is stunning with beautiful coves, Tuscany has its fair share of less touristy beach gems, and who could forget the Cinque Terre or spots along the Amalfi Coast like Positano or Ravello.
Sicily, though, is the perfect island escape from the hustle and bustle of life. Plus, you’ll never be short on delicious Sicilian cuisine like arancini, cassata, and fresh seafood.
If a European beach honeymoon is your jam, then a hotel like Hotel Mira Spiaggia is perfect for sea views at Riserva Dello Zingaro.
Best beaches on Sicily:
- Riserva Dello Zingaro for a natural reserve and many coves to discover along the coastal path
- Calamosche for a “natural pool” that is perfect for snorkeling
- Lungomare di Cefalù for a beautiful sandy beach off of a charming fishing village
- Cala Rossa for turquoise waters and smooth pebbles for sunbathing
20. Santorini, Greece
Greece is typically on the list of best honeymoon destinations in Europe, and mostly for its stunning beaches and islands. Santorini is no exception to that list.
While the beaches here aren’t the best in Europe, the red and black sand beaches are beautiful, as is the volcano in the middle of the caldera. The island itself is truly noteworthy for its sunsets.
Stay in the town of Oia in a white cave hotel that overlooks the sea for a lux splurge that is honeymoon-worthy. Andronis Boutique Hotel may be pricey, but it has everything you need to create a memorable romantic getaway in Europe. And to save a bit of money, we mention a fabulous and affordable Airbnb with iconic views in this article!
Best beaches in Santorini:
- Perissa/Perivolos beaches for black sand and best swimming
- Red Beach for gorgeous water and red sand
- Ammoudi Bay for a great swimming spot in clear water but it isn’t actually a beach
- White Beach for white cliffs and remote access
21. Antibes, France
While Nice and Cannes offer a beautiful glimpse into the Cote d’Azur, Antibes is well-known for its sandy beaches. With gorgeous sunsets, hidden coves, and beach clubs galore, you’ll enjoy this perfect honeymoon spot in Europe.
For a romantic visit, stay at Hotel Belles Rives for sweeping views of the Mediterranean and even a private beach!
Best beaches in Antibes:
- Plage du Ponteil for beautiful views of the city and a lovely promenade
- Plage de la Gravette is perfect for a swim close by the old town
- Cap d’Antibes beaches have hidden coves perfect for getting away from the crowds
- Plage de la Gallice for a peaceful beach
Off-The-Beaten-Path Honeymoon Spots in Europe
For the adventurous and those who have traveled extensively and want to venture to less popular spots, then look no further than the best romantic destinations in Europe that are off the beaten path.
This small island nation in the middle of the Mediterranean sea is a perfect honeymoon destination that you’ve probably never even thought about. With gorgeous tucked away beaches, exciting towns, and even a few Game of Thrones filming locations, you’ll fall in love with the beauty of Malta.
While a visit to the capital city of Valletta is a must, as is the fortified city of Mdina, personally, Gozo island is my favorite spot. Take the ferry over from the main island and spend a few days in Gozo. As for the perfect hotel, opt for the Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz not far from many great attractions in the area.
What to do on your Malta honeymoon:
- Explore the ruins of the Azure Window on Gozo and swim in the inland sea
- Find hidden beaches along the coastline in Gozo
- Discover Megalithic temples around the islands
- Swim in Malta’s Blue Lagoon
- Spot Game of Thrones filming locations in Mdina
- View colorful boats in Valletta
23. Provence, France
As we mentioned above, there are plenty of great beach towns in the Provence area in France, but there are so many other amazing areas to explore that aren’t on everyone’s radar. From flower-filled fields to beautiful gorges, Provence is the perfect honeymoon destination in Europe!
While Antibes, Nice, and Cannes are part of Provence, I recommend staying in Avignon and road-tripping around this part of France to go deeper than the beach. For the most charming honeymoon getaway to Provence, stay at La Mirande Hotel for star treatment and very French rooms.
What to do on your Provence honeymoon:
- Visit the Pont du Gard Aqueduct
- Explore lavender and sunflower fields
- Take a wine tour
- Boat down the Gorge du Verdon
- Visit hilltop villages in the Luberon region
- If you want some beach time, head to the French Riviera too!
This up and coming traveler hotspot is still slightly off the beaten path from other well-known central European destinations. And in Slovenia, you’ve got adventure from skiing to visiting beautiful alpine lakes (like the famous Lake Bled).
An easy place to base yourself is in the capital city of Ljubljana at Hotel Cubo.
What to do on your Slovenia honeymoon:
- Explore the charms and quirkiness of Ljubljana
- Hike and swim at Lake Bled and perhaps see the church in the middle of the lake
- Trek along Vintgar Gorge
- Ski in the alps at Kranjska Gora
- Take a visit to a wine region or two
- Enjoy the lesser-known Lake Bohinj
25. Lapland, Finland
Last, but certainly not least, is this paradise up north. You’ve probably heard of it more recently, thanks to it being featured on the Bachelor, but it is still just as breathtaking as ever.
With so many winter wonderland activities, a stay in this part of the world is perfect for a winter honeymoon destination in Europe. Stay at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort for those clear igloos perfect for stargazing or catching the northern lights.
What to do on your Lapland honeymoon:
- Visit or stay at the Snowman World Igloo Hotel
- Participate in fun winter activities like snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and dog sledding
- Pay a visit to Santa
- Watch the northern lights
- Participate in a true sauna experience
These are definitely the best honeymoon destinations in Europe that you’ll want to consider as you plan your perfect romantic getaway post-wedding. After all, life is an adventure or nothing at all, right?
Where would you like to visit on this list of romantic honeymoon destinations in Europe?
For more honeymoon inspiration: