Some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you!). Read the full disclosure policy here.
To be in Rome is to be immersed in one of the most romantic cities in the world. Seriously. The amount of romantic things to do in Rome is endless. There is a reason that many couples choose to include the Eternal City in their Italian honeymoon plans.
From delicious cuisine to breathtaking sunsets, there are ample romantic sights and things to do here. That is why we had to make a list of the most romantic things to do in Rome for your amazing Rome honeymoon or charming getaway.
Table of Contents
- 25 Most Romantic Things to do in Rome
- 25 Best Rome Honeymoon and Romantic Getaway Ideas
- 1. Stroll Around the Trastevere Neighborhood
- 2. Enjoy a Roman Favorite at Roma Sparita: Cacio e Pepe
- 3. Make a Wish Together at the Trevi Fountain
- 4. Explore a Romantic Hidden Gem in Rome: the City of Water
- 5. Wander Around the Enchanting Villa Borghese
- 6. Explore the Vatican Early in the Morning
- 7. Catch a View of Rome From Saint Peter’s Dome
- 8. Wander Around the Charming Cathedrals in Rome
- 9. Climb the Spanish Steps Together
- 10. Visit the Temple of Venus and Roma in the Roman Forum
- 11. Get the Best Photo of the Colosseum Together in the Roman Forum
- 12. Take a Cooking Class
- 13. Explore Rome At Sunset on an Evening Tour
- 14. Slow Down and Have an Aperitivo Together
- 15. Go on a Vespa Tour
- 16. Enjoy the Opera
- 17. Catching a Sunset is One of the Most Romantic Things to do in Rome
- 18. Stroll Along the Tiber
- 19. Grab Cocktails at a Rooftop Bar
- 20. Do a Professional Photo Shoot Around Rome
- 21. Enjoy a Food Tour of Rome
- 22. Grab Supplies for a Picnic at Mercato Campo de’ Fiori
- 23. Visit the Dreamy Museo Nazionale Romano, Palazzo Altemps
- 24. Take a Day Trip: One of the Most Romantic Things to do Around Rome
- 25. Best Rome Honeymoon Hotels
25 Most Romantic Things to do in Rome
For a quick glance, here are the top 25 romantic things to do in Rome:
- Stroll Around Trastevere
- Enjoy a Roman Favorite at Roma Sparita: Cacio e Pepe
- Make a Wish Together at the Trevi Fountain
- Explore a Romantic Hidden Gem in Rome: the City of Water
- Wander Around the Enchanting Villa Borghese
- Explore the Vatican Early in the Morning
- Catch a View of Rome From Saint Peter’s Dome
- Wander Around the Charming Cathedrals in Rome
- Climb the Spanish Steps Together
- Visit the Temple of Venus and Roma in the Roman Forum
- Get the Best Photo of the Colosseum Together in the Roman Forum
- Take a Cooking Class
- Explore Rome At Sunset on an Evening Tour
- Slow Down and Have an Apertivo Together
- Go on a Vespa Tour
- Enjoy the Opera
- Catching a Sunset is One of the Most Romantic Things to do in Rome
- Stroll Along the Tiber
- Grab Cocktails at a Rooftop Bar
- Do a Professional Photo Shoot Around Rome
- Enjoy a Food Tour of Rome
- Grab Supplies for a Picnic at Mercato Campo de’ Fiori
- Visit the Dreamy Museo Nazionale Romano, Palazzo Altemps
- Take a Day Trip
- Best Rome Honeymoon Hotels
For more information, keep reading for the most romantic things to do in Rome!
25 Best Rome Honeymoon and Romantic Getaway Ideas
1. Stroll Around the Trastevere Neighborhood
One of the most romantic places in Rome is the Trastevere neighborhood. It is far less chaotic and crowded than areas closer to say, the Trevi Fountain, and there are charming cobblestone streets and dreamy sidewalk cafes around every corner. Overall, it is just a slower-paced version of the city.
So, going for a stroll around this neighborhood is definitely a romantic thing to do in Rome. People watch from the cafes, take photos of floral streets, find unique Roman fountains, and more!
2. Enjoy a Roman Favorite at Roma Sparita: Cacio e Pepe
Each part of Italy has its own food specialties, and Rome is no different. If you’re a lover of cheesy, creamy pasta, then Rome is a dream come true. For a lovely, romantic dinner, head to Roma Sparita and order the most out-of-this-world dish: cacio e pepe.
Seriously, this place is so good I almost cried when I had my first bite. It is served in a crispy cheese bowl and the spaghetti is cooked al dente, the amount of pepper gives it the perfect bite, and I can’t get over how simply amazing this dish is.
Split some wine and mussels before tucking into this dreamy dish. Or you could go half and half and order up their tasty carbonara too.
3. Make a Wish Together at the Trevi Fountain
Live out your Lizzie McGuire Movie dreams at the Trevi Fountain. Make a wish and toss a coin in! The rumor is that if you toss in a coin, you’ll return to Rome. I wouldn’t recommend tossing in 2 coins, as that means you’ll fall in love with an attractive Italian, and, as you’re already here on a Rome honeymoon or romantic vacation, this isn’t a great idea.
But definitely make a wish and toss in your coin so you can one day return back to the Eternal City together!
Pro-Tip: The Trevi Fountain is a madhouse pretty much all the time. Even at 7 am, you’ll spot many a person taking photos in the high season. I’ve noticed nighttime is better or before sunrise, if you truly want to go when nobody is there. Otherwise, be prepared to wait a bit to get to the fountain.
4. Explore a Romantic Hidden Gem in Rome: the City of Water
While the Trevi Fountain is a complete madhouse on the best of days, just around the corner is a hidden gem and fun romantic place in Rome: the City of Water!
Known as Vicus Caprarius, this archeological sight is a fun place to visit without the crowds. It has origins dating back to the 1st century and was discovered in the 1990s while digging to construct a movie theatre.
This is actually where you’ll find where the Trevi Fountain water flows, as there are tons of areas in this complex with flowing water. You’ll also spot artifacts including pottery and coins.
It is also a budget-friendly thing to do in Rome, as it is only €4 per person to visit. Reduced fares are €2.50, €1 for children 14+, and free for children under 14. For a guided tour, it is €8.
5. Wander Around the Enchanting Villa Borghese
An enchanting place in the heart of Rome, Villa Borghese is a must-visit for lovers. Book a tour of the gallery to admire works by Caravaggio, Raphael, and more.
Take in works of art from sculptures to paintings and frescoes. And with this Intimate Borghese Gallery Tour, you’ll get a more well-rounded understanding of these iconic artworks thanks to your knowledgeable guide.
After that, enjoy a walk in the gardens, admiring the views, strolling around the Passeggiata del Pincio, and spotting the enchanting Victorian Water Clock!
6. Explore the Vatican Early in the Morning
The Vatican and its museums are always a must-see for first-time visitors to Rome. But if you don’t want to contend with the crowds, then definitely book an early morning Vatican tour with the chance to visit the Sistine Chapel right around the time it opens and before it’s jam-packed.
Admire the vast amount of artwork at the museums with your expert guide, who will give you lots of great information and context to the architecture and art you’ll see.
Then, for a romantic visit to the Vatican, enjoy coffee and breakfast together in the Pinecone Courtyard. It’s all part of this great VIP Early Morning Vatican Tour.
7. Catch a View of Rome From Saint Peter’s Dome
After visiting the Vatican museums, head into St. Peter’s Basilica to admire this massive cathedral and spot the famous Pieta statue of Mary holding Jesus in her lap after the crucifixion.
After that, climb up to the Dome and be rewarded with one of the most enchanting views of the city. It is a lovely spot for sunset!
8. Wander Around the Charming Cathedrals in Rome
There are so many stunning cathedrals to visit in Rome that it had to make the list! Many of these cathedrals are in historic buildings, and the stained glass windows, architectural beauty, and even the artwork make them a romantic thing to see in Rome.
A favorite church in Rome includes the Pantheon, known as the best-preserved Roman building. It is so well preserved as it was converted into a church in 609 AD.
San Luigi dei Francesci is another lovely church to check out in Rome together, and there are paintings by Baroque painter Caravaggio.
I’m also a big fan of Sant’Agnese in Agone, located at Piazza Navona, especially for its stunning dome.
9. Climb the Spanish Steps Together
A romantic thing to do in Rome has to be to climb the Spanish Steps together. The architecture of the area is so stunning, so walk hand in hand to the top of the steps and take it all in!
10. Visit the Temple of Venus and Roma in the Roman Forum
The Temple of Venus and Roma is definitely a romantic place in Rome, especially as it is a temple named after the goddess of love.
Located in the Roman Forum, this temple was thought to be the largest in Rome in its glory days. Construction began around 121 under Hadrian’s rule.
It was damaged by a fire in 307 before being restored. Then, it was potentially destroyed by an earthquake in the 9th century.
Now, you can admire what is left of it during your time exploring this area.
11. Get the Best Photo of the Colosseum Together in the Roman Forum
Want to know the best place to get a photo of this iconic Roman building? The Roman Forum! Luckily, if you book a ticket for this Colosseum tour, you also get a tour and have access to the Roman Forum.
Just enter the Forum and there is a place with stunning views facing the Colosseum that is perfect for a photo together!
12. Take a Cooking Class
Enjoy diving into the culinary arts of Italy with a pasta class. This 2.5-hour class teaches you both to make fresh pasta and tiramisu. Learn from a local chef when it comes to making the perfect noodle, and see who’s tiramisu reigns supreme.
Then, you get to enjoy your work as you eat everything you made. It is a fun lunch or dinnertime activity that’ll have you wanting to make your own fresh pasta together back home!
13. Explore Rome At Sunset on an Evening Tour
Rome is gorgeous during the day, but it is downright magical in the evenings. Catch a sunset at Pincio Terrace before exploring the highlights of Rome without the crowds.
The twilight and evening lighting makes it uber romantic, and there are far fewer people out and about at the sights during the evening. So feel as if you’re in your own little world in Rome during a sunset tour.
14. Slow Down and Have an Aperitivo Together
Rome is a large and bustling city at times, but between the hours of 6-9 pm, things seem to slow down a bit, especially if you go for aperitivo.
Italians certainly know how to enjoy a good happy hour. Aperitivo is time to sit at a cafe and have a cocktail and snacks. Usually, the snacks include bread, chips, olives, and other antipasti, and it is usually free if you order a drink.
After a day of exploring together, for a romantic activity in Rome, do as the Romans do and sit down to a relaxing aperitif. Sit outside and people watch as you sip your negroni or Aperol spritz together before a romantic dinner.
A place I love for aperitivo is Ercoli in Trastevere. It is in a quiet area and just a lovely spot to relax. Plus, the drinks were some of the best we had our entire trip!
15. Go on a Vespa Tour
Ever wanted to take a Vespa ride through the city of Rome a la Roman Holiday? On this tour, you both can explore the main sights of Rome, and have a coffee and gelato as you roam through the city as the locals do!
16. Enjoy the Opera
Italian opera is world famous. So it makes sense that you can easily find a show in Rome to go to together. Visit the famous Theatro dell’Opera di Rome and admire the beauty of the architecture and decor before witnessing an Italian opera.
Whether or not you understand Italian, you’ll be blown away by the performances. Check out Rome Opera Tickets to reserve a space!
17. Catching a Sunset is One of the Most Romantic Things to do in Rome
Of course, Roman sunsets are a thing of true beauty. What could be more romantic than to catch a colorful sunset together?
It is hard to find a bad place for sunset in Rome, but some top places to admire the views include Passeggiata del Pincio (mentioned above), Il Giardino Degli Aranci (a tree-lined park with amazing views), and even bridges along the Tiber.
18. Stroll Along the Tiber
Speaking of the Tiber River, a romantic thing to do is to walk along the river itself, taking in the sights. This famous river cuts through the city, and there are many things to see along the way including beautiful bridges, Tiber Island, Castel Sant’Angelo, and even multiple bars and restaurants.
You could easily spend a good part of the day strolling hand in hand as you explore the Tiber River together.
19. Grab Cocktails at a Rooftop Bar
Whether you want to catch a sunset, enjoy aperitivo, or get after-dinner drinks, a rooftop bar in Rome will be sure to please.
Some great rooftop bars in Rome include Ambrosia Rooftop Restaurant & Bar, Otivm Roof Bar, and AcquaRoof Terrazza Molinari. Just be sure to snag a reservation first!
20. Do a Professional Photo Shoot Around Rome
Booking a professional photo shoot around Rome is a super romantic thing to do in the city. This is a fabulous idea for both a Rome honeymoon and even an engagement.
Take photos together in front of iconic sights for the best souvenirs of your trip together!
21. Enjoy a Food Tour of Rome
Take in the sights, smells, and tastes of Rome during a food tour together! Discover Roman classics like Roman pizza, suppli, and more. And you cannot forget the gelato!
This food tour by a local guide offers 5 tastings as well as the chance to really see a neighborhood in Rome.
22. Grab Supplies for a Picnic at Mercato Campo de’ Fiori
For a romantic Rome date idea, head to Mercato Campo de’ Fiori for picnic supplies and make a fun picnic together in the city!
This market is the oldest in the city- it is more than 400 years old! You can purchase so many great things here including fresh fruits and veggies, flowers, meats, cheeses, olive oils, and so much more.
23. Visit the Dreamy Museo Nazionale Romano, Palazzo Altemps
The National Roman Museum, Palazzo Altemps is a 15th-century palace that now houses artwork dating from the Greek and Roman eras as well as the Renaissance. This palace is so dreamy and romantic, that it is a lovely place to visit together.
24. Take a Day Trip: One of the Most Romantic Things to do Around Rome
Rome is amazing all on its own, but if you want to make your trip even more romantic, definitely take a day trip! There are tons of places you can take a day trip to from Rome, so why not explore more of the country during your vacation?
25. Best Rome Honeymoon Hotels
Last, but not least, for the ultimate romantic stay in Rome, you’ll want to stay in a romantic hotel. There are tons of great Rome honeymoon hotels, including hotels in great neighborhoods, hotels with great views, and more!
Here are some based on your budget!
Budget: Residenza San Calisto
This is where we stayed last time and it was such a cute hotel. The rooms are comfortable, and it was located in the heart of Trastevere, making it easy to get around and enjoy the local bars and restaurants of the area.
Prices start at around $120 per night.
Mid-Range: Hotel Relais 95 Trevi
Located near the Trevi Fountain and close to many other tourist attractions, this place is a great Rome honeymoon hotel. Plus, it has a rooftop terrace to admire the views of Rome!
Prices start at around $191 per night.
Luxury: Rome Cavalieri
Complete with a spa and Turkish Bath, rooftop terrace, and decadent rooms, you’ll never want to leave this stunning hotel. It is also tucked away and not too far from Vatican City.
Prices start at around $275 per night.
These are the top things to do in Rome for lovers! From hotels and tours to rooftop bars and more!
Which would you most like to do?
Want more honeymoon-worthy ideas? Check out these posts!
- How to Spend 2 Days in Piedmont
- Ultimate 7 Days in Italy
- Best Europe Honeymoon Destinations
- How to Spend 2 Days in Bologna
- Top Africa Honeymoon Destinations
- December Honeymoon Ideas
- October Honeymoon Ideas
- Best Honeymoon Airbnbs
- Belize Honeymoon Resorts
- Costa Rica Honeymoon Guide
- Peru Honeymoon Guide
- Thailand Honeymoon Guide
- South Africa Honeymoon Itinerary
- Best Honeymoon in Tennessee Romantic Getaways
- Vermont Honeymoon Guide
- Savannah, Georgia Honeymoon Guide
- Vegas Honeymoon Guide
- Top USA Honeymoon Road Trips
- Glacier National Park Honeymoon
- Best US Honeymoon Destinations
- National Park Honeymoon Destinations
- Romantic Getaway to Tybee Island
- France Honeymoon Destinations
- Where to Honeymoon in June
- Romantic Things to do in Joshua Tree
- Best California Honeymoon Destinations
- Best All-Inclusive Honeymoon Resorts in the USA
- Finger Lakes Romantic Getaway
Pin it here!