Some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you!). Read the full disclosure policy here.
We’re continuing our “do this not that series” with Do This NOT That: Cusco, Peru!
We loved our time exploring Cusco, Peru, and think it is well worth your time to spend a few days visiting this city. With cobblestone streets, tasty restaurants, and gorgeous plazas, a trip to Cusco will make you fall in love with its charm. That’s why we had to create this episode!
From top things you must-see (and what to skip) to pro-tips to make the most of your trip, here are all of the things you should do (and avoid) to have the greatest trip to Cusco, Peru.
Table of Contents
Time Stamps Do This NOT That: Cusco, Peru
- 0:18- Intro
- 0:34- Updates/chat
- 2:25- Topic intro
- 3:21- #1 Do this NOT that: Cusco: DO rest your first day in Cusco DON’T do too much
- 6:53- #2: DO wait to hike Rainbow Mountain DON’T do it the first day or two
- 9:51- #3: DO Stay in a hotel with a view DON’T just stay in any old hotel
- 11:37- #4: DO drink or dine above Plaza de Armas DON’T just hang out at ground level
- 13:47- #5: If you want high-quality alpaca wool/baby alpaca DO shop at the higher-end boutique’s DON’T shop at the markets
- 17:16- #6: DO visit Museo y Catacumbas Del Convento San Francisco de Asis Del Cusco NOT the Church of the Society of Jesus
- 20:50- #7: DO stay in Aguas Calientes before visiting Machu Picchu DON’T do a one day trip from Cusco
- 24:25- #8: DO plan to splurge on dinner or drinks for one night DON’T do it every night (there’s great cheap food everywhere!)
- 26:48- #9: DO drink the coca tea DON’T drink too much alcohol
- 29:52- #10: DO explore San Blas DON’T just hang out in Plaza de Armas
- 31:44- Wrap up
Helpful Links and Further Reading:
- Peru Podcast Episodes:
- Peru Blog Posts:
- The Best Things to do in Cusco
- Best Restaurants in Cusco
- Best Day Trips From Cusco
- Rainbow Mountain Day Trip
- Tips for Visiting Machu Picchu
- One Day in Lima
- The Ultimate 10 Days in Peru
- How Much Does a 10 Day Trip to Peru Cost
- The Most Unique Peruvian Souvenirs
- Packing Guide for Peru
- Things to Know Before Visiting Peru For the First Time
- Top 10 Things to do in Peru
- Hotel we stayed at Rumi Wasi
How You Can Help:
- Rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get podcasts!
- Follow us on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, I Heart Radio, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts!
- Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest!
- Subscribe for updates!
- Check out our resource page for booking on the affiliate links we love like TripAdvisor, World Nomads, etc. We earn a small commission at no cost to you!