Some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you!). Read the full disclosure policy here.
Table of Contents
Where to Honeymoon Based on Your Travel Style
Choosing a honeymoon destination can be so incredibly difficult. While contemplating where to travel for our honeymoon, Chris and I made lists of places we wanted to go, eventually coming to a conclusion that fit our travel style. Then, we started making plans. Everything else falls into place after you select where you’re going. So, let’s start the honeymoon process and choose where to honeymoon based on your travel style now!
For the Adventure Couple
If you’re a couple who loves hiking, biking, and more, or you just can’t sit still, going on an adventurous honeymoon is the perfect way to ring in your marriage. What better place to go than these?
- Budget: Costa Rica. Hike around volcanoes, trek through rainforests, and feel the thrill of zip lining in the gorgeous jungles of Costa Rica. This place is packed with places to go hiking, surfing, and so much more! With Groupon offers or cheap flights and reasonably priced accommodation, it’s perfect for honeymooners on a budget.
- Mid-range: Peru. Picture the dense Amazonian rainforest, the vast and lovely Lake Titicaca, and the ancient Incan ruins of Machu Picchu. There is no shortage of hiking opportunities with the trek to ancient Incan ruins and even the hike to Rainbow Mountain. Throw in kayaking on Lake Titicaca and Peru screams adventure everywhere you turn! It is also incredibly affordable thanks to discount airlines, like Spirit, flying there. A bonus is that hotels are inexpensive thanks to the USD being strong against the Peruvian Sol.
- Luxury: New Zealand. Looking to splurge a little? Fly to the faraway land of New Zealand, where you’ll discover glaciers, fjords, and famous hikes like the Milford Track, a four to five day hiking excursion deep into the Milford sound. New Zealand is the birthplace of adventure, including daring bungee jumping spots, whale watching, skiing, surfing, and so much more.
For the Zen Couple/Searching for Zen Couple
Are you the couple that either loves to keep calm or are trying to get their Zen back after several wedding planning breakdowns and stress? Trust me, I totally get it! So chill out in these relaxing locales.
- Budget: Sanibel Island, Florida. If you’re looking for a place to just relax and lay out, Sanibel Island’s slow pace of life is perfect. Lay on the beach, lazily stroll to the cute shops on the island, or just catch up on your reading while smelling that sea breeze as the tide comes in. I already feel calmer thinking about it.
- Mid-range: Bali. Perhaps the place with the most Zen, or the most yoga retreats in the world, Bali is the place to bring Zen back. Visit the temples in Ubud, do yoga on the beach, or snorkel in the clear waters, finding your calm in the warm ocean current. Flights to Bali can be expensive, but sometimes you can get a good deal, or travel hack your price down to under $100 round-trip. Also, hotels cover the gamut of dirt cheap to luxury costs, with plenty of affordable options in between!
- Luxury: Maldives. Known for having some of the clearest water in the world, you can relax and forget about your wedding stress while laying in a hammock over the ocean. Relax in your overwater bungalow and get a massage beach side. It’s luxurious but oh so worth it!
For the Beach Bum Couple
Zac Brown Band singing, “toes in the water, ass in the sand” is pretty much your mantra. If putting you on the softest sand or frolicking in the most perfect ocean is your jam, these spots should be on your radar.
- Budget: Algarve Coast, Portugal. Portugal is having a moment this year, and there’s no question as to why. With exciting and colorful cities like Lisbon and Sintra, delicious food and wine in Porto, and stunning beaches in the Algarve, it may be the perfect place. Portugal also serves host to backpackers and luxury tourists alike, meaning you can grab four star resort deals for less than $200 a night. Hurry, go before everyone finds out!
- Mid-range: Tulum, Mexico. Clear waters and soft, sandy beaches define this Mexican coastal city. Admire the ruins off of the beach, snorkel closely to colorful fish, or spot sea turtles in the current. With more affordable resorts and hotels than more expensive Cabo San Lucas and Cancun, this is a great honeymoon spot!
- Luxury: Maui, Hawaii. From green to black beaches and seemingly every color in between, Maui has #beachdaysarethebestdays on lock. Luxury resorts fill the island, meaning you can stay anywhere and get the best view, whether that’s of the beach or the mountains. Don’t forget to watch the perfect sunrise over Haleakala before spending the remainder of your day snorkeling or learning to surf.
For the Couple Who Loves Culture
You love a unique scene no matter the location. You’re more than willing to admire old architecture, learn a few foreign phrases, and you’ll search high and low for the most authentic, local restaurant there is. So why not take that worldwide?
- Budget: Thailand. With great flight deals to Thailand (I’ve seen some as low as $700 or less round-trip!), and the strong USD against the Thai baht, Thailand is the perfect place to stay in budget. So visit all the temples you can in Chiang Mai before taking a cooking class to learn about authentic Thai food. Explore the floating markets in Bangkok and the colorful Khao San Road. Be sure to sneak in some beach time after cruising around on a long-tail boat on one of the famous islands.
- Mid-range: Prague. This stunning Gothic style city is everything your heart desires when it comes to architecture. Get lost in the old city in Wenceslas Square. Then, venture to Prague Castle and cross Charles Bridge. After admiring all there is to see, be sure to check out the amazing brewery scene. Being that Prague is an Eastern European city, it is typically much more affordable to visit than Western Europe. The fact that it’s considered one of Europe’s most romantic cities doesn’t hurt either.
- Luxury: Morocco. Ride a camel and explore the Sahara desert in a luxury tent on a 3-day/2-night excursion. Wander the medinas and see the architecture of Marrakesh. Then, discover the vibrant blue city of Chefchaouen. Flights can be pricey, but there is a wide range of accommodation, meaning this can also be an affordable destination too.
For the Couple Who’d Rather be at the Mountains
The mountains are calling, and you must go! Maybe you love skiing, hiking, or all things winter sports, but either way, the mountains are your idea of the perfect romantic escape. Check out these mountainous destinations for your dream honeymoon.
- Budget: Lake Tahoe. With affordable resorts and amazing views of the Sierra Nevada and lake, this is too perfect for words. Go skiing, hiking, diving, and so much more at this diverse and lovely locale, depending on the time of year. Nothing says romance like cuddling next to your love by the lake, admiring a great view.
- Mid-range: Niseko, Japan. While you may be familiar with South Korea’s slopes thanks to the Winter Olympics, Japan’s northernmost islands also offer astounding winter sports and some of the heaviest snowfall in the world. From amazing ski slopes to affordable resorts, this may be the perfect getaway for you and your spouse. Don’t forget to relax in their hot springs and enjoy the Japanese cuisine after your day on the mountain.
- Luxury: Switzerland. Romance and the Swiss Alps go hand in hand. Go skydiving and admire the beauty in Interlaken. View gorgeous Alpine lakes or try your hand at skiing the slopes at Zermatt, near the Matterhorn. Experience après ski with beer and fondue. Either way, it sounds perfect.
For the Couple that Would Call Themselves Winos
You all graduated from the two-buck chuck a long time ago and are ready to indulge and explore some of the world’s best wine regions. Whether it’s champagne or pinot noir, wine and romance is the perfect pairing. Check out these destinations for your dream wine honeymoon.
- Budget: South Africa. South Africa has a ton to offer. Picture perfect beaches along the western and eastern capes, safaris, and amazing cities. But one of the best things about South Africa is its vast winelands. Stellenbosch, Paarl, and Franschoek take the cake for making delicious and affordable wine. With tastings costing between $3-5 a person and good bottles of wine selling for $15, you better believe it’s an affordable place to honeymoon for a wine lover.
- Mid-range: Napa Valley, California. Napa Valley is not short on wineries or good food. If you’re looking for both, and a place closer to home, this is the perfect place for you. With tastings costing up to $50, it can be pricey, but there are more affordable wineries and you can find good tasting coupons online. Also, accommodation and food runs the variety of affordable to crazy expensive, so you can find a mid-range here.
- Luxury: France. The whole country of France delivers delectable and diverse wines. There are dry reds in Bordeaux, crisp rosés in Provence, and even sparkling wines in Champagne. If you’re a true wine lover, France is probably on your list of places to visit. So why not honeymoon there? Reasonably priced tastings are available, and even smaller wineries don’t charge a fee if you purchase something. Wine tours can be a luxury, though, costing between $1,500-$4,000 per person for a week, but these may include quite a bit of amenities such as hotels and food.
For the Couple Who Are Foodies
I mean who doesn’t love food, right? You’re the couple that refuses chain restaurants and researches options on Yelp for the perfect night out. There’s no shame in your game, and you won’t stop until you’ve had the best meal ever. Check out these delicious destinations!
- Budget: Vietnam. If you’re looking for something inexpensive and tasty, look no further than Vietnam. With pho (a clearish, broth soup with thin slices of meat) bahn mi (delicious pork and pate on a soft and chewy baguette), and more, the food possibilities are endless. Also, with the prices of food being ridiculously cheap in Vietnam, you’ll be able to stuff your face while keeping a full wallet too.
- Mid-range: Italy. I couldn’t talk about a food destination without mentioning Italy. Whether it’s the fresh calamari from Capri, mouth-watering pizza in Naples, or light and chewy pasta in Tuscany, Italy is home to fresh, amazing food. It’s also very affordable, as pasta and pizza aren’t exactly difficult to come by. And I haven’t even started on desserts! If you’re a food lover, Italy is the place for your honeymoon.
- Luxury: Copenhagen, Denmark. This city is packed with Michelin Star restaurants and innovative cuisine. With establishments consistently making the best restaurants list each year, it’s a foodie’s paradise. But, with the higher cost of living and the fact that a lot of these top-notch restaurants are charging top-notch prices, you better be prepared to pay a bit more for good food here.
You can find the perfect honeymoon spot based on your travel personality as a couple. Whether you’re a foodie or an adventure junkie, there is an amazing place for everyone. So get out there and start making your honeymoon plans today!
Love this and want to know more about your honeymoon options? Subscribe for more exclusive content!
Check out our other honeymoon guides here:
- Where to Honeymoon in December
- Best European Honeymoon Destinations
- How to Plan a Honeymoon in Tennessee
- European Cities in the US
- California Honeymoon Itinerary
- 2 Week South Africa Itinerary
- Couples Travel Bucket List
- Best Honeymoons for Adventurous Couples