Some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you!). This includes (but is not limited to) VRBO, TripAdvisor, World Nomads, etc. Read the full disclosure policy here.
When Chris and I started living together, we knew that we wanted to travel more, but it seemed impossible with 1) student loans, 2) saving up for an eventual wedding, and 3) the cost of travel can be really expensive at times! So while it seemed like a daunting task, we found a way to save over $25,000 in travel in just 2 years and it is all from travel hacking!
2 years ago, I opened my very first credit card, the Chase Sapphire Preferred, in the hope of eventually having enough points to fly business class to Southeast Asia for our honeymoon. We have since become completely hooked, and have saved money on flights to Peru, several flights to Europe, and even just booked flights to Colombia and Scotland all using miles.
So today on the podcast, we want to spill all of our strategies to saving $25,000 in travel expenses so that you can travel more, save money, and make even more memories together!
Table of Contents
Time Stamps for Top 5 Tips to Save Over $25,000 in Travel in 2 Years:
- 0:17- Intro and topic
- 5:02- Some caveats as to who can travel hack
- 6:45- #1 Tip: Earning miles and points with credit cards
- 17:00- #2 Tip: How to maximize your point earnings
- 21:43- #3 Tip: Don’t forget the value in hotel points
- 27:59- #4 Tip: Know other ways to earn points
- 34:05- #5 Tip: How to redeem points effectively
- 39:36- When to use miles versus paying cash
- 42:31- Summary
- 43:10- Wrap up
Traveling the world? Check out our favorite tours here!
Helpful Links and Further Reading:
- Articles to help with travel hacking:
- Let’s Get Started page
- 10 Rules for Travel Hacking Success
- Chase 5/24 Rule
- How to Book an Award Flight with American Airlines
- 3 Cards You Need to Fly Business Class to Southeast Asia
- American Express Platinum Review
- Top Everyday Spending Credit Cards
- How to Qualify for a Business Credit Card
- How Many Miles We’ve Earned 2018 Update
- Is Business Class Worth It?
- Credit Card Application Rules
- Milez.Biz (to check how many points you’ll need)
- Globetrotter Lounge Podcast Episode where we talk travel hacking
- Our Favorite Credit Cards:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred*
- American Express Platinum*
- AA Advantage Gold Card
- Delta Amex Platinum Card*
- Chase Freedom*
- Citi ThankYou Premier
- Hyatt Credit Card
- Amex Everyday Preferred*
- *These are referral links meaning we will get extra points if you open them. You will also earn your points based upon their current offerings!
- Don’t forget about travel insurance in case you have to cancel your trip, sickness, or more covered costs! We always use World Nomads- get your quote here!
How You Can Help:
- Rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get podcasts!
- Follow us on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, I Heart Radio, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts!
- Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest!
- Subscribe for updates!
- Check out our resource page for booking on the affiliate links we love like TripAdvisor, World Nomads, etc. We earn a small commission at no cost to you!
Pin it here!