Some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you!). Read the full disclosure policy here.
New Zealand has been lauded as one of the most beautiful places in the world for a while now, so when it comes to planning a honeymoon there, it was a no-brainer for fellow adventure couple and guests Christine and Steve. They had three weeks thanks to the holidays to travel to the other side of the world, and with our help with itinerary and travel hacking consulting, not only did they save over $3,400, but they managed to see as much as possible during that time.
Their New Zealand itinerary includes a quick stop on the North Island of New Zealand for Tongariro Alpine Crossing before taking the ferry down to the South Island. Their New Zealand South Island itinerary is full of adventure from driving the west coast toward Franz Josef Glacier to bungee jumping in Queenstown. In total, Christine and Steve spent about two weeks exploring the highlights of New Zealand by car before spending five days in Australia at Cape Tribulation, the Great Barrier Reef, and ending in Sydney.
Learn all about this fantastic New Zealand itinerary including the North and South Islands and more on this week’s episode of the World Wide Honeymoon Travel Podcast!
Time Stamps for the Perfect New Zealand Itinerary and Road Tripping Around New Zealand:
- 0:16- Intro and topic
- 1:14- Updates/chat
- 2:06- How they found out about World Wide Honeymoon
- 3:35- Why travel to New Zealand?
- 5:10- Trip planning for New Zealand
- 8:34- The best adventure capital of the world
- 9:28- How we found cheap flights/travel hacking to get to New Zealand
- 10:58- United excursionist perk: how to get a free flight without using miles
- 14:43- Collecting points and why you should open a travel credit card before a large purchase
- 16:17-Crossing the International Date Line
- 17:22-Using points for hotels
- 19:23- Biggest tip for people planning their honeymoon
- 21:06- Length of their trip
- 21:58- Getting around New Zealand and tips for driving in New Zealand
- 24:35- Highlight of the North Island of New Zealand: Tongariro Alpine Crossing
- 27:33- Ferry to the South Island
- 29:38- Wine Regions in New Zealand
- 30:17- Driving the west coast of New Zealand
- 37:29- Driving down to Queenstown: things to do
- 41:46- Queenstown highlights and things to do
- 45:41-Milford Sound and the Fjordlands
- 49:42- Mt. Cook and hiking Sealy Tarns and Mueller Hut
- 55:54- Brief trip to Australia and the Great Barrier Reef highlights
- 58:23- What they thought about their itinerary
- 1:06:04- Favorite memory from their trip
- 1:07:36- Is Fergburger worth the wait?
- 1:09:37- Would they go back to New Zealand and Australia and what would they have done differently
- 1:11:19- Where to see photos from their trip
- 1:12:10- Wrap up
Helpful Links and Further Reading:
- Where to Honeymoon Based on Your Travel Style
- Best December Honeymoon Destinations
- Travel Consulting Page
- United Excursionist Perk
- Why Wedding Planning is the Perfect Time to Start Travel Hacking
- Christine’s Instagram for more New Zealand photos!
- Find the perfect car rental for New Zealand on Skyscanner
- New to Airbnb? Save 15% off your first stay here!
- Park Hyatt Sydney
- Ferry to the South Island
- Heli-Hike for Franz Josef Glacier
- Onsen Hotpools
- Shot Over Jet
- Milford Sound day tour
- Helicopter over Milford Sound
- Canyoning in New Zealand tour
- Cape Tribulation Fruit Farm
- Ziplining tour of Cape Tribulation
- Passions of Paradise Great Barrier Reef Tour
How You Can Help:
- Rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get podcasts!
- Follow us on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, I Heart Radio, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts!
- Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest!
- Subscribe for updates!
- Check out our resource page for booking on the affiliate links we love like TripAdvisor, World Nomads, etc. We earn a small commission at no cost to you!
Pin it here!