Some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you!). Read the full disclosure policy here.
On today’s episode, we go into detail about everything you need to know about a first timer’s guide to a South Africa safari. We talk best safari lodges and how much a safari can cost you, which reserves to stay on based on your travel goals and needs as well as animals you’d like to see, what to pack, and all the little details we wish we would’ve known beforehand.
So whether you’re trying to spot the Big 5 or see a cheetah in the wild, definitely listen in and learn more. And if you think a safari is well out of your budget range, seriously think again. Safaris can be remarkably affordable as well as outrageously expensive. So listen in about what we still recall as our favorite trip we’ve ever taken. Fall in love with the charms of South Africa, and especially a few days out on safari.
Time Stamps First Timer’s Guide to a South Africa Safari:
- 0:13- Intro and topic
- 1:53- When to go on safari in South Africa
- 6:15- How to choose a safari lodge and cost
- 9:40- Factors in choosing a lodge
- 14:45- Use a company vs. DIY
- 18:15- Where we went and stayed
- 22:55- Other reserves in South Africa and details about those
- 27:41- What animals did we see on safari
- 34:50-What to pack for a South Africa safari
- 45:50- Kat’s highlight on safari
- 47:45- Chris’s highlight on safari
- 51:50- Would we do it again?
- 54:30- Wrap up
Helpful Links and Further Reading:
- Ultimate Guide to a South African Safari
- Perfect 2-Week South African Honeymoon Itinerary
- Perfect South African Safari
- Is South Africa Safe?
- Perfect 3 Days in Cape Town
- How Much Does An African Safari Cost?
- Best Honeymoon Destinations in December
- World Nomads Travel Insurance
- Safari 365 (the company we used to book our South Africa trip)
- Ilios Travel (tours, transportation)
- Where we stayed and reserve:
- Safari Game Reserves:
- What to pack
How You Can Help:
- Rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get podcasts!
- Follow us on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, I Heart Radio, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts!
- Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest!
- Subscribe for updates!
- Check out our resource page for booking on the affiliate links we love like TripAdvisor, World Nomads, etc. We earn a small commission at no cost to you!
Pin it here!